From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 10:01:24 -0500
Hi Lactnetters
My research into personal factors governing BF (247 returns from 647
surveys distributed to perinatal nurses)  showed that 57.7% of these
perinatal nurses cited journals and books as source of keeping current on
maternal/child issues.  However,  the mean # of articles read per mo was
1.94, ranging from 0 to 10 (yes, Jan deCoopman was in my research sample
:-)  The median was one article per month in maternal/child issues (forget
breastfeeding).  Nurses don't read! That's why everyone at work is always
amazed when we tell them something new that we've read.

When I think about our LaCTo meetings (ILCA chapter) I smile over how we
all want copies of this and that to take home and read.  We practically
must meet at a site with a copier!  What is different about LCs?  Oooo
maybe I should distribute my survey to LCs and see what I get.  Might make
for interesting comparison!

Also I really believe in personality type and temperment stuff and think
this has a bearing on who we are and what we seek out.  And I based my
research on Roger's theory (oh my gosh I admitted in public that I used a
theory- Note: not nursing theory - that's Everett M. Rogers :-)  about
Diffusion of Innovations.

Also in case you haven't noticed I'm a little goofy on a steady diet of
tylenol #3 from abcessed tooth that has gone into my sinuses.  My glasses
are tilted from the swelling in my face and that is giving a skewed view of
the world!
Sincerely, Pat in SNJ