From:
Beth M McHugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:21:23 -0700
Well, I've been getting caught up on my posts this week, and just had to
add my experiences to the topic of infertility and BF.  I was infertile
from endometriosis for 8 years, going through all the workups,
humiliation and monthly roller coaster riding, that includes.  After 5
years, we adopted a 3 month old baby from Korea, who was bottle fed.  Our
next adoption was a newborn, who I breastfed with a SNS.  When he was 3
months old, I discovered I was pregnant and luckily had 9 months of a
normal pregnancy to get my feet planted and accept that this pregnancy
was viable and normal!  I breastfed this baby for 14 months without
problems and weaned him a few months after discovering that I was
pregnant again.  This last baby was nursed for 3 years.

I tell you this because I was one of those women you have referred to as
'too used to living in the high tech side of life' to breastfeed.
Please, don't ever assume that mother's make a decision based only on one
experience in their life, (although a very overwhelming one).  All
pregnant/adoptive parents need to make an informed decision about feeding
their baby, and need our information, support and trus,t that they will
make a decision that is best for their family and circumstances.

By the way, I was a RN, with nursery background but didn't pursue
becoming a lactation consultant until my wonderful breastfeeding
experiences with my own children.  Best wishes and keep an open mind and
heart for these moms!

Beth McHugh, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Teton Lactation Consultants - (I'm in private practice!!)
Idaho Falls, ID

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]