Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 07:19:19 +0200
I have been working in a 700 birth/month   maternity ward since January
and just had my first case of unexplained No Milk Syndrome. (Had another
case several months ago, but the mother had thyroid dysfunction).
This mother is 28 years old:
-no fertility problems
-no known thyroid dysfunction
-no unusual bleeding during delivery
-Hemoglobin 10.6
-no meds
-no breast surgery
I was not able to squeeze out even one drop of milk,either day 1pp, or
day 2,  after   massage, compression, even hot  compress.(the nurses all
think I am able to squeeze milk out of a stone, so even they, who still
believe that a woman who has milk is the rare exception to the rule,
were surprised when I reported this phenomenon.)
What would you test further?  No one would agree to do a prolactin test,
but I suggested that she ask her own physician.
Sometimes you would think, according to the staff,  that all the 2% of
women in the world who "don't have enough milk" come specially to my
hospital to deliver.  J
Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel