From:
Mari Douma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 23:04:09 -0500
I have a question about nipple pain and flat/inverted nipples. Most of what
I've read about flat/inverted nipples discusses difficulty for the baby to
latch. I am wondering what is known about flat/inverted nipples and nipple
pain during the early days of breastfeeding.

My question arises from my own experience in breastfeeding my daughter.
There wasn't really any latch problems but I did have nipple pain during
latch and after she came off, but not during the feeding. While it was a
couple of years ago now, I still think I remember thinking my nipples looked
a little edematous after a feeding. I didn't have any obvious nipple damage
like cracking or bleeding. Could this have been from the (?) breaking of
fibrous tethers which caused the flat nipples? They certainly aren't flat
anymore after a couple of years of nursing!

I know that breast shells are sometimes reccommended for inverted/flat
nipples prenatally. My impression of this to help change the nipple so the
baby can latch better. Would the use of these shells help prevent this early
type of nipple pain as well? I am wondering about anticipatory guidence in
this area for moms regarding sore nipples.

I will of course be very appreciative of any education anyone can offer me
here!!!

Mari Douma, DO