Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 19:41:36 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (5 lines)
What I neglected to add to my initial comment is that we have sent out a variety of handouts over the past 2 years which have included: local breastfeeding resource list, 10 good reasons to breastfeed, breastfeeding and substance abuse (which was revised from a source here on lactnet), AAP statement, as well as any upcoming breastfeeding trainings like the LLL physicians seminar and info on the LLL medical associates. So this was just one of many (which were very friendly) most of the handouts were white copies for them to use for handouts. 
What the Newman handout does is get someone's attention enough to read it and most of the stuff on there is pretty basic breastfeeding stuff, so hopefully after they read it, it might get them to think a little more when they advise a mother 1 day post partum to give formula at 11p.m. feeding so baby will sleep longer at night... I also included a cover letter to soften the impact. I do admit the title has some overtones, but the content is reality and I get weekly calls regarding  those scenarios described on the handout; 2 in fact on the very day the D.O.N. spoke to me. So those physician's doing a good job can look it over and see they are doing the right thing, while the others may learn something. No complaints were received at the Health dept. from any of the physicians who got it though.
Patty Murphy S. Lake Tahoe, California USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2