From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:23:28 +0800
>Last week I had two different Moms call with concern that one breast was
>a mega-producer and the other was a poor producer of milk.  In each
>case, the size difference was evident and baby was antsy and
>dissatisfied on the smaller side. Mom thought babies behaviors were
>directly related to the lack of milk on the smaller side.

This is quite common, and varies in degree. I had a similar experience with
my babies. It's hard to know which came first - the small supply making
baby unhappy with that side, or something else that baby doesn't like
resulting in poor drainage and low supply.

>Both of these Moms had tried starting on the smaller side 2 feedings out
>of 3, letting baby get lots of comfort sucking on the smaller side
>towards the end of the feeding, breast massage and compression.  They
>didn't believe they noticed any difference and feared the possibility of
>total rejection of that breast by baby.  Neither woman wants to nurse on
>only one side due to lopsidedness that would result.  Any suggestions?

I don't think they should *fear* one-sided breastfeeding. If the baby has a
strong preference, there is going to be lopsidedness anyway, and it's no
big deal to feed one-sided. No-one but the mother herself (and maybe
partner) will notice, as long as she wears clothes ;) - I know, I've been
there! There are also advantages to one-sided feeding - you don't have to
think about which side to feed from, and you get used to doing everything
other than holding the baby with the same hand. It becomes very natural. By
all means try to continue feeding on both sides as long as possible for
convenience, but one-sided feeding is not that bad!

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]