Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:39:08 -0500
As Louise stated, I have found that most constipation in my clients is due
to iron supplements.  The only iron supplements that will be in the
prenatal vitamins will be ferrous sulfate, which can be constipating to
mother and can produce intestinal cramping in baby; and which is poorly
assimilated anyway.  I've been recommending that the mom stop that
supplement, and, if she wants to take a supplement, she can get one from a
health food store that has another form of iron--either food based or
non-sulfate.  There is one elemental iron that is commonly found in these
supplements--ferrous fumerate--that doesn't cause intestinal problems in
mother and baby.  There are also iron supplements that are food-based and
which are assimilated at a much higher rate (4 times greater) than is
ferrous sulfate.

But I also point out that breastfeeding isn't a risk to mother's health.  A
good diet will nourish her sufficiently.  And if she is not anemic she
shouldn't take any iron supplement.  We "over-iron" people in the US, with
food additives and supplements.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, upper midwest USA
mailto:[log in to unmask]