Date:
Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:10:17 +0000
Linda: I agree that hormonal contraceptives are out whenever there's a
query about milk supply.

Yes, of course removal of milk is clearly *the*  most crucial factor in
building up the milk supply.

Agree too that a baby who feeds for 45 minutes or more *may* have a sucking
problem. But he also *may not* - just because a baby feeds for 45 mins does
not clinch the diagnosis. What is just as  important is how well he takes
to the breast, the effectiveness of his latch, the frequency of his feeds,
his behaviour during the feed, his general growth and development. I would
still be very reluctant to give a baby a finger to suck to shorten the feed
- why would this help, whether or not there is a sucking problem? If there
is a sucking problem,  shown by prolonged feeds and attendant problems,
then the positioning and attachment needs to be checked, as I suggested in
my previous post.

If everything is fine, and the baby just wants to take 45 mins over the
feed, why is that not all right? Actually, this length of time is not
uncommon in the first weeks - but the baby is not always sucking all the
time, and some of the time it's what you call NNS, and we call comfort
sucking. Of course some babies take what they need in far less time, and
that's okay too. But if the baby wants to suck for comfort, then that's
part of the bf experience, too.  Comfort sucking for 45 mins with no
effective nutritive sucking is clearly a no-no, of course....but it has a
value of its own, and the trickle of milk it removes may mean it
contributes (in a small way, yes) to the stimulation of supply.

I'd love to hear your comments!

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne