From:
"Betsy R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 1998 07:28:23 EST
Have you read the 1997 position statement on breastfeeding form the AAP? Much
of what you all are doing in your nursery is not only archaic but not the
standard today. It sounds like the nurses and the pediatricians need a LOT of
education. I would wager that while you are one of many nurseries still
adhering to these old-fashioned ways, you are way behind the times. It's hard
to change,but I wish you luck. There is very little well born care( tests,O2
sats,baths, peds exams,etc) that can not be done at the bedside. the type of
approach that you describe undermines the mother/baby couple.

Actually, it is so much easier to do family centered care. maybe you could
visit some places that do LDRP(or at least mother/baby nursing) and you'd see
the difference.

Betsy