From:
"Linda L. Shaw MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:02:22 EDT
Nutramigen is a protein hydrolysate formula--they take the cow milk protein &
break it up into small proteins that should be less allergenic.  However, I
have had patients who are cow milk protein sensitive still react to
Nutramigen, so it does retain some bovine protein characteristics.  There is
an amino-acid based formula called Neocate and a new amino-acid formula from
the Ross company (I don't recall the name at the moment); these are even more
pre-digested down to the individual amino acids.

Nutramigen is NOT, by a long shot, easier to digest than human milk.  It
stinks, it's extremely expensive, and it tastes absolutely disgusting.  If the
baby is smart he/she will refuse to drink the stuff.  There is plenty of good
data in the literature (which should, hopefully, have popped up on your
literature search) to indicate that human milk is the recommended feeding for
preterm humans.  Human milk will help prevent nasty complications (like sepsis
and necrotising enterocolitis); no artificial formula can do that.

Sounds like the pediatrician doesn't know what he is talking about.  He needs
to review the literature.  Since I'm a fan of Dr. Newman's bluntness, I would
make him prove, by showing actual, recent articles, that what he is saying is
based on scientific fact and not on antiquated personal opinion.  Meanwhile,
tell the mom to stick to her guns and insist on giving her preemie mother's
best.

Linda L. Shaw MD FAAP
Altoona PA