From:
Elena Medo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:58:26 -0800
I agree with Laurie's post about non BF moms being offered a pump to help relieve engorgement.  We offer a "Postpartum BF Management Kit" which consists of a hand pump and instructions on how to express milk to relieve engorgement until the milk supply dries up.  Although moms are told not to pump more than 1.5 oz., they can't resist "seeing how much milk they get." I can't count the numbers of callers to our Mother's Helpline who say that they were not planning to nurse, but when they saw how much milk their breasts were making, they reconsidered.  It's nice to know that when you help them manage their health, they sometimes manage to make better decisions about their kids.
By taking a moment to "teach them how to relieve their engorgement", you also get the chance for a teachable-reachable moment.

Elena Taggart Medo
Founder, White River Concepts
"There's No Formula for Mother's Milk"