From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 12:07:48 -0500
To : Wendy
Re : Effexor (venlafaxine)

Just after I sent my book to the press this year,  a colleague in Australia
released the only publication thus far on venlafaxine.  It has been on my
webpage for some time, but I have paraphrased the data below.  My regards to
Ken Ilett and his colleagues for some great research.

Venlafaxine (Efexor):
Milk:plasma ratio for venlafaxine ranged from 2.8 to 4.8 (average=4.1)at
steady state. The mean total infant dose was 7.6% of the maternal
weight-adjusted dose. The metabolite of venlafaxine (but not venlafaxine)
was detected in all three infants at low levels. The infants were healthy
and showed no acute adverse effects.

Reference:

Ilett KF, Hackett LP, Dusci LJ, et.al. Distribution and excretion of
venlafaxine and O-desmethylvenlafaxine in human milk. Br. J.Clin.
Pharmacol 45:459-462, 1998.

Regards

Tom Hale, R.Ph., Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics