From:
Laura Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 22:19:11 EST
Here in central Florida, I work in a community hospital. We do 125-175 births
per month, 7 birthing rooms, 2 bed recovery room, 2 OR's (in L&D area), 23
postpartum beds, a "time-out" nursery & level 2 NICU with 6 beds.

We have tried a few different ways of handling our NB's but we always seem to
usually in the nursery for 2-3 hours. Some of the L&D nurses encourage babies
to breastfeed right after birth. Babies are in the nursery from 7-9 every am
for assessments, pictures & dr exams. They also go the nursery at 11 pm for
evening assessments & weight checks. Most of our moms have babies stay in the
nursery at night so they can sleep. (some of the night nurses are very
encouraging & even offer to feed BF babies abm so moms can get some sleep.)
Pacifiers are used regularly & one of the nurses even purchased a swing to
help calm our fussy babies so moms can get some sleep at night.

All of our NB's are screened at 1-2 hours of age for blood glucose levels. Our
hypoglycemic protocol requires babies with blood glucose (accuchek) less than
40 to have central blood glucose drawn & accucheks done prior to feeds until 3
consecutive blood glucose readings are 45 or above. Babies are usually
required to receive supplemental abm feeds while on protocol. If a follow up
accuchek is less than 40 the baby is placed on IV fluids & fed abm until
sugars are stable & baby is able to wean from IV glucose.

I'll be interested  to hear what others are doing.

Laura Hart, RN, BSN, CCE, IBCLC