Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Steve Salop and Judy Gelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:04:12 -0400
One of the many insights adoptive nursers offer to the field of
lactation is that ovaries are truly unnecessary to inducing or
maintaining lactation.  I have worked with women without ovaries who
were able to establish a milk supply.  However, estrogen replacement
will suppress lactation and most post-(total)hysterectomy women are
reluctant to go off their therapy for fear of hot flashes, bone loss,
etc.  I have read that women who have a total hysterectomy during
lactation are less bothered by these symptoms because their hormonal
level was already suppressed. I cannot remember the source, but that
suggests it's been done before! Still, why take ovaries if they can
stay?

Judy Gelman, IBCLC
Washington, DC (currently at Bethany Beach, DE)