From:
Jennifer Herrin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 18:03:29 EDT
In a message dated 10/3/98 4:05:13 AM, Carol wrote:
<<it hurts the one nerve *I* have left to hear this endless pious blah-blah-
blah about "race for the cure" and so forth with never a word about
prevention.>>

Ah c'mon, Carol, can't we talk about prevention WHILE we "race for the cure"?
We must remember that breastfeeding does by no means always prevent breast
cancer. About 10 years ago my aunt died of it at age 36, having breastfed all
three of her kids for an average of a year. She was nursing her 8-month-old
when diagnosed; in fact, had she NOT been breastfeeding she would likely have
been diagnosed sooner -- she assumed the lump she felt was a plugged duct or
something else breastfeeding-related.

Jennifer Herrin, RN, CBE (and anxiously awaiting my exam results!), NICU
nurse, Tulsa, OK