From:
Lisa Marasco IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:02:54 -0700
>>Baby’s sibling
has no known allergies at present, nor do mother or father.  Grandparents
have no known allergies but are lactose intolerant.  ALSO:  Mother’s sister’
s children experienced similar blood in the stools.  This was eliminated
when the mother discontinued soy in her own diet.<<

While lactose intolerance and milk allergy are two different types of
reactions, most people don't understand the difference and may mis-label
their reaction. In breastfeeding, it is usually the protein in the milk that
causes problems, as the lactose in breastmilk is humanly manufactured, not
bovine. (If bovine lactose transfers into milk like the protein can, I don't
have this information)

Has the mother tried eliminating dairy at a serious level?  I'd consider
doing a total elimination, for at least 2-3 weeks.  The tricky part is that
if the brush border of the intestines is damaged, which is often the case,
symptoms can persist for a while even though you're on the right track.
Milk and soy allergy/intolerance often go hand in hand, so I'd include soy,
too.

So what is the goal/point of weaning the baby because of blood in the stool,
unless the loss is enough to be a health threat? (anyone know how much it
takes to be a health threat?)  I believe that Maryelle Vonlanthen rarely
considers this necessary-- you can search the archives from a couple of
years ago for some of her posts on the subject.

Lisa Marasco, BA, LLL, IBCLC