Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Brenda L. Phipps, BS, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 22:48:15 EDT
I have a colleague/friend in the WIC Program which I am associated with who is
pregnant and has been hit with a rare disease known as auto-immune
progesterone dermatitis.  It starts in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy and
exhibits allergic symptoms in the mom in response to maternal allergy to
prolactin, progesterone, and oxytocin. This disease also lowers mom's blood
volume.  Her symptoms: Huge hives and itching all over, even in her throat.
Yuck.

Mom is taking megadoses of an antihistamine she says is called "PBZ-SR", which
I've never heard of, in the amount of 300 mg per day, and this huge amount is
still not working for her.   The use of this medication will continue at least
into her 3rd month postpartum, possibly longer when menstruation returns.

Question: How will use of this medication impact breastfeeding postpartum, as
well as mom's milk volume due to lower blood supply? Is there an alternate
drug?  Jack, if you read this, please respond!!  (and all other wise LCs who
have heard of this!)