From:
Ilene Fabisch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 1998 07:56:02 -0500
> These findings raise the possibility that in
>addition to the effects of nicotine on the developing brain, early
>experiences
>with the flavor of tobacco in breast milk (and perhaps even in amniotic
>fluid)
>influence the likelihood that exposed children will find these flavors
>appealing later in life.  We do not suggest that lactating women who smoke
>occasionally should stop nursing.  However, the knowledge that the milk of
>others who smoke smells and may taste like cigarettes provides additional
>reason to avoid smoking."  The letter is by Julie A. Mennella, PhD and
>Gary K.
>Beauchamp, PhD at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia PA
>19104-3308.
>Obviously these people are interested in sensory experiences.  I would
>imagine
>that teenagers are much more affected by growing up in a household where they
>can see adults smoking and have access to purloined cigarettes, rather than
>the "remembered" taste of nicotine in the breast milk.\

Thanks, Cindy, for the great synopsis.  This whole thing is supposition
and not very good science at that.  Give me a break a sample of FIVE!
But more importantly, of course, environment has a role to play here as
well as convenient access.  In order for there to be any validity it
seems to me you would need the following groups to be followed until the
babies reached adulthood:
1.  Some mothers would at this point have to quit smoking so that
environment could be controlled for.
2.  Others would HAVE to continue, quitting not an option (not exactly
ethical to encourage a life threatening behavior though).
3.  Then, of course, you would need a group that never smoked to find the
incidence of those adults that began smoking even though not exposed as
an infant.

I'm not a researcher, obviously, but it is clear to even me how flawed
this thinking is.

Warmly, Ilene Fabisch, Brockton, MA
"Each day is a blank canvas waiting for our unique brushstrokes to create
a masterpiece."