From:
Louise Dumas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 09:17:13 -0400
RUNNER'S WORLD
Here is a copy of what I have sent to the Editor of Runner's World, for
those of you who are interested by this subject.
****
Subject: Reader's opinion
To: [log in to unmask]

Following reading the July 1998 edition of Runner's World, I must
rectify a small comment which appeared on page 28 concerning
breastfeeding and running.

Text reads as such: "Nurse your baby's immunity: Breast milk contains
natural germ killers. But levels of these immunoglobulins take a nose
dive during the first half-hour after exercise. So, for maximum nursing
benefits, either nurse before exercise, or pump out and discard
postexercise breast milk."

I must disagree with the discarding of breastmilk after exercise. Why
would you have to discard milk with less immunoglobulins? The baby would
have just a little less than usual, but surely a lot more than with
artificial milks which are chemical imitations of human milk!!
Breastmilk is THE best choice for baby's feeding and scientific research
keeps proving it day after day.

Also, I would recommend breastfeeding baby BEFORE exercising especially
before running or jumping of any kind, and this, for mom's own comfort.
Full breasts can become very sensitive with running and more so if the
mother doesn't wear a firm support bra.

Exercising is fun and healthy. It helps both the mother and the baby. So
breastfeeding is the best choice for running moms!

Louise Dumas, R.N., M.S.N., PhD
Professor-researcher in Nursing Sciences
University of Quebec in Hull
Hull, Quebec, Canada
e-mail: [log in to unmask]