From:
Mary Murphy Md <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 22:25:27 EDT
I ran it past an ophthamology friend, and he wouldn't advise having the
surgery during pregnancy or lactation. It's well documented that the cornea
changes during pregnancy, and not as well documented during lactation. When I
wore contacts I could tell changes near the time of my period. The surgery
involves hinging the cornea and lasering the layer beneath(unlike the regular
laser surgery which just hits the top layer), and then replacing the top
layer. It's all pretty exact, and even a small bit of corneal swelling could
change the outcome. If surgery was done for optimal vision during lactation,
the vision may change when the baby weans. (On the other hand you might be
able to see better when you're pregnant or lactating.)
At any rate if I were paying that kind of money, I'd wait.

Mary Murphy MD