From:
Lois Englberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:52:50 -0700
As a new Lactnet member, I would first like to express my appreciation for
all the wealth of information provided by Lactnet, and to also say how much
I enjoy all the lactnet letters, all the commitment.  I have been thinking
for some time I should introduce myself and also thank everyone for what
they have shared.

Reading about the arthritis possibly  related to increased levels of
prolactin in breastfeeding, I was first quite surprised to hear of such.
Then tonight reading a question as to whether anyone knew more about it, I
had a jolt and realized that I may have had the experience myself while
breastfeeding our first child.  As I remember now, it was in the early
months, I was surprised about a pain I kept having in my arm while
breastfeeding.  This was in Yemen where we were then working.  As I
remember, my English midwife and friend suggested to me that it might be an
arthritis related to breastfeeding, and that it occurred sometimes, but not
often.  I went on breastfeeding, and eventually it went away,  I continued
breastfeeding for 2 years.  With our second baby, I also breastfed for 2
years, I don't remember having that pain again in my arm.  I never went to
a doctor about the matter, I do know that I am now sensitive to arthritis,
(perhaps genetic, my mother has it) some years ago I started having it in
my finger joints, but have controlled it by eating a very low fat diet.  If
I eat a fatty meal, I will feel it in my finger joints soon after, perhaps
in about three hours or more, though I have not done an actual study of it.
I mainly would like to share this to encourage mothers to keep on with
breastfeeding, because in my case, whatever pain that was, it did go away,
and was not a problem for too long.

About breastfeeding promotion, I would just like to say how much I
appreciate all the work going on in the industrialized countries in getting
breastfeeding back to the normal situation which it should be.  I have
lived in developing countries for the last 25 years, so it is very good to
hear more about what is going on in USA, UK, Australia etc countries which
rather set a model for the rest of the world, especially with the media,
commercial world
etc.  In Yemen, we had the situation in which women would breastfeed in
public completely veiled but their breasts showing.  Here in
Micronesia, mothers still breastfeed as a rule, and many for a long time,
but there have been many problems with fighting breastmilk substitutes,
advertising by milk companies, influences from abroad.   As a UNICEF Health
and Nutrition Advisor here to the government, I am working
with the 4 states of Micronesia, most closely associated with the health
department, though we liaise with agriculture, education and other agencies
also.  THANKS to Lactnet, what a resource it is!  I look forward to hearing
from anyone on these two topics.

Lois Englberger,  MNS  (nutritionist)
Kolonia, Pohnpei, Federated States of Micronesia
mailto:  [log in to unmask]