From:
Tony Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jul 1998 16:53:19 -0400
Has anyone read the brief article in the August issue of Child magazine on
the book, Babywise?  It's under the Pediatricnews section.     It says that
at least 1 infant has been hospitalized due to dehydration and malnutrition
while under this regimen.  One??? Anyone care to contact Child magazine?

www.childmagazine.com

 While making rounds a couple of days ago on the bf moms at the hospital, I
had a mom tell me about this wonderful book that a friend gave her.  Guess
which book it was?  I tried very tactfully to discourage her from this
book.  I discussed the situations some moms have ended up in with
hospitalized infants or babies that completely shut down.  I could tell it
fell on deaf ears.  This mom was in our natural childbirth class, but did
not attend the breastfeeding class.  Her husband, a doctor at our hospital,
told her he knew enough to get her through labor and delivery; so he only
attended 2 classes.  (He is a vascular doc).  She had only bf twice in 2
days and she said she felt bf was going very well.  The rest of the time
she was giving the baby a bottle.

Judy Phillips LPN, CCE, Breastfeeding Counselor