From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:56:39 +0800
>News story here in Pittsburgh, PA.....'Nursing Mom Exposes Son to Radiation'
>Apparently mom told hospital she was not nursing.....then did nurse her 4 year
>old
>following treatment with I-131 for thyroid cancer.....now 4 year old needs
>thyroid therapy and at high risk for leukemia...Scary.....several agencies
>involved now, including Children Youth and Family (protective agency) Sadly,
>mom says she was embarassed to admit thruth that she had not stopped
>nursing.....apparently hospital had advised weaning....to view
>article..try........
>
>   Http://post-gazette.com/       for article, scroll down to 'Health and
>Science"
>
>Jackie Cantley,BS IBCLC
>Pittsburgh PA    WIC

This strikes me like a 'boy that cried wolf' type story. *So* many mothers
are told they can't breastfeed, have to wean, etc for so many things they
really don't have to for, that when there is a genuine case of needing to
avoid breastfeeding, the mother chooses to ignore it (as she thinks it is
just like all the rest). And also, in that cultural environment, she was
probably embarassed to even admit to the hospital staff that she was still
breastfeeding a 4-year-old. But then I haven't read the article yet.

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]