From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 08:07:32 -0700
Since no one has mentioned it ...

I am new to beekeeping this year and seem to be working agressively (on and
off) towards fulfilling my required 200+ stings a year to gain a lessened
impact from stings.I heard that this takes approximately two years. But I
have one helpful personal suggestion (Benedryl or generic equivalent
Diphenhydramine) and an associates vital experience of having on hand and
needing! to administer Epinephrine Auto-Injectors (EpiEZpens).

Earlier this year, when getting stung, especially more than once (four times
on one hand, for instance) the hand would swell. I was instructed that
Benedryl or the equivalent would reduce the swelling and itching and indeed
it does. Someone else in our Bee Association ended up having an Anaphylatic
allergic reaction to being stung and was literally saved by a calm,
well-thinking and well-prepared beekeeper who carries two EpiEZpens. She
needed both shots and narrowly survived. (Have EPINEPHRINE AUTO-INJECTOR pens
with you at all times for general public who might be affected.)

Back to more modest swelling:

I was stung three times on one hand over a weekend. Swelled slightly -
Benedryl - no problem. The following Wednesday, I was lightly stung on the
tip of the middle finger of the same hand. I was pleased that the reaction
was mild and I assumed that I was lessening my reaction to stings. At 2:30 am
I awoke feeling that I had mosquito bites all over, being very itchy. When I
looked in the mirror, I had hives distributed over half of my body
(patchwork). Benedryl again saved the day (actually night) by allowing the
swelling to go down, the itching to reduce and sleep to be regained.

I have been stung again but have not had as severe a reaction. I haven't
been stung multiple times again in one area, nor had a follow up sting in
near-time proximity. I quickly started working again without gloves, but only
when I have the time and hive temperament to have everything remain calm.
When working with someone on pulling honey, I am not so brave and put on
gloves.

My point in all this -- reactions in newbies vary and it takes a while (and
stings) to build an immunity. In the meantime, Benedryl helps if one is
affected modestly by stings and everyone should be responsible beekeepers and
always carry Epinephrine Injector Pens in case someone else gets stung and
has an Anaphylatic reaction. It's not fun to watch people die from a bee
sting.

Robert MacKimmie
San Francisco