Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:28:28 EDT
Dear Barbara-
     I agree that a woman, especially one who has breastfed successfully in
the past, who produces no milk, deserves medical attention.  I think that the
reason that her OB isn't more concerned about it is probably lack of knowledge
about lactation.  There remains the persistent notion that "some (many) women
just don't make enough (any?) milk", and there is precious little in the
medical literature about lack of lactogenesis.  Aside from severe and sudden
trauma, I, too, think that there *must* be a medical reason for a proven
lactator not to secrete milk.  Lack of knowledge leaves medical providers
shrugging shoulders.
     And why is there so little in the literature about this?  Who will pay
for research about making mothers' milk?  Formula companies?  Maybe, just
maybe, as our society begins to value mothers milk, someone will be willing to
do the research.
    Are there any cases such as this in the dairy literature I wonder?  There,
cow's milk is valued with dollars, and I suppose that research abounds.
    Will the OB do hormone levels?  Ultrasound?  Test thyroid?  Is there a
reproductive endocrinologist who might help?  These cases are so frustrating!
     -Debi Page Ferrarello, RN, IBCLC
who still that everyone who would breastfeed could, and who could would!