Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:52:55 -0400
Maurenne, don't shudder, but a few years ago there was a research
article
printed that showed more improvement in sx with an ice water sitz bath
(ice
cubes in the water).  Whenever I could convince really desperate pp moms
try it they would rave about how good it felt!  You could do a study of
one
for us!  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ
*****When my doc was washing me up after stitching me up I asked her to
use the coldest water she could get out of the tap.  Everyone looked at
me like I was crazy, but it really made me feel better.  I never ran
anything but cold water for a sitz bath.
I was not able to nurse my son laying down, when he was an infant,
because of his craniofacial anomalies, but I would not have been able to
nurse my daughter if I had not been able to nurse her laying down.  I fx
my coccyx during her birth and was not able to sit for over 2 weeks, I
can now sit and feed her, but I try to avoid it if i can, and we don't
have a very good session when I am siting as opposed to laying down
(obviously).  I think that all moms should know how to nurse not only
while sitting, but also while laying down, if it is at all possible for
them to do so.  There are so many differences in nursing while laying
down and learning the mechanics and getting ideas for potential problems
(like using washcloths and where to put your legs or top arm, for
example) that mom needs to have some ideas of how to solve.  Also, I
think that some moms feel more comfortable if they have someone there
offering suggestions, and helping her to experiment (do you roll to the
other side to feed or do you stay on the same side and just roll over a
little more? I have found that some moms really prefer to jsut roll over
a little more rather than move a sleepy baby and roll over and all of
that--I very much prefer to do it this way myself, particularly since
rolling over is extremely painful for me.)
Vickie