From:
The Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 00:46:29 -0600
I'm in agreement with many of the concepts in this letter.  However, I
think we need to be believable if we want others to listen to us.  The
letter says, "Women make noise in labor and may even scream, this was
interpretted as pain."

It used to be taught in childbirth classes that there was "discomfort"
in labor.  Now we talk about PAIN.  There is pain in labor.  I have
labored four times.  As a former labor and delivery nurse, I have
watched and supported hundreds of women in labor.  I will say
unequivocally that well-prepared women have much less pain and are much
more able to deal with the pain they do have.  I have seen a few women
who had very little pain until very near the end of labor.  I can't
honestly say I have ever seen a woman labor pain free.

Let's be careful to tell it like it is and not be unrealistic.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC
from the sunny S.W. USA