From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 19:28:36 -0500
Helping new moms to evaluate how much they have to work and how soon they
really have to go back is an important element. However, there are lots
of moms out there who do need to be employed in order to put food on the
table. Taking advantage of FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act)only goes
so far, because it is not usually a paid leave.
  I suggest finding out from the supervisor and/or human resource office
what family benefits there are and how they might benefit a new nursing
mother. (these benefits usually also benefit the employer as well in terms
of less turnover, more dedicated workers etc.) If anyone is intersted I have
a chart I have developed on the most popular benefits, how they benefit
new nursing moms and how they benefit the company, hopefully to be
published soon, but I can send out some copies if anyone is intersted.
  Giving moms skills to work with their supervisors to make time to nurse
or pump is important. Doing role plays in which the instructir and/or LC
plays the worker and the new mom plays the supervisor is a good
excercise becuase it gives the new mom a chance to think about what her
supervisors concerns are likely to be and to hear some possible approaches
from the LC or instructor or other people in the class.
  Finding support among other nursing working mothers is also important.
If LCs know other mothers and can put new moms in touch with eachother
that's great. But knowing others who do this and have done it
is really a big help to new moms going back to work. Often owmen
find eachother on the internet in various parenting chat rooms and
'lists.
  Hope this is helpful.
   Naomi Bar-Yam PhD