Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Val Best RN RM IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 15:30:57 +0800
Hi all, I saw a 20 year old single mum yesterday, day 3 post
normal delivery.  Baby was 3.820grams born, 1 week post dates.
Baby very laid back, alert and responsive, doesn't cry much.
Sucking really well on the finger, tongue coming forward, but not a
lot.  Palate OK, lips flange OK, frenulum OK.  On the breast, baby
will not attatch.  Searching, gaping, not getting on or getting on and
not sucking for longer than 10 seconds.  Mums nipples are flattish
but not that bad, I don't see them as the problem.  Breasts are
biggish, again, not a problem.  Tried a shield, baby sucks better
than on the bare breast, but not getting on properly.  On left side,
cheeks are being sucked in, on the right side, nipple is squashed
(this is still with the shield.)  Mum very patient and relaxed.
Nipples are getting a bit sore.  Suggested suck training, finger
feeding if the baby won't suck correctly at the breast after a good
attempt with bare breast and shield.  I can't really work out what
the problem is except that the baby has a good strong suck on the
finger, but the tongue is not coming forward a lot.  I would really
appreciate some suggestions as I honestly don't know what else to
try.
Val in Busselton, Western Australia
RN RM IBCLC