Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 22:35:19 -0400
Thought I'd add another thought.  While counseling a mom she reported that
her ped had suggested supplementing with abm.  It so happens the ped she
reffered to is also the ped that takes care of my children.  All my
experience with this ped has been very positive in reference to bf,
including continuing to bf my almost 3yo.

I don't like to blame the victim, but, sometimes moms do not feel
comfortable questioning the peds, or, they seem to be asking the ped to fix
a/the problem.  MDs are not trained to give options and empower their
patients to make choices.  They are trained to fix the problem.

The more patients are seen as consumers the more physicians will hopefully
give treatment options and not just fix the problem.  I feel that including
patients/clients in treatment helps everyone.  Physicians don't need to be
all powerful and patients can feel empowered and less helpless.

I hope this rambling makes sense.

Alicia, LLLL in the Bluegrass (Lexington, KY)
aka Post Poster and AS for Kentucky
and academic nomad
mailto:[log in to unmask]