Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 20:15:54 EDT
From:
"Carol Kelley, LLL Leader" <[log in to unmask]>
Toni and all,

Are the mom's nipples at all sore? The clicking/sucking sound and the cheeks
being sucked in sound like the baby is breaking suction as she feeds. When the
baby sucks her tongue, retracts it or curls the tip, she keeps breaking
suction and the mom usually will have sore nipples. You can check the position
of the baby's tongue by gently pulling down on her lower lip during a feed.
The tongue should cup the breast and cover the baby's gum. If the mom's
nipples are sore, then, of course, you need to work on getting the tongue down
and forward. But if the mom's nipples are fine *and* the baby is gaining well
*and* the milk intake (especially of hindmilk) is great, then you may be able
to just watch the situation really carefully for a time. Some babies don't
have to nurse perfectly to be alright.

The Breastfeding Answer Book has a nice section (p 66-68) on tongue thrusting
and sucking including positioning tips and exercises to teach the baby to use
her tongue correctly. BTW, I demonstrate the clicking to moms by sucking on my
own tongue.

Warmly,
Carol Kelley LLLL
Taylors, SC