From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 May 1998 07:37:42 -0700
Hi all,

First, thanks to all who responded with my question about the low
carbohydrate diet. I have had to refresh my biochemistry (no easy task).
I asked the mum for details regarding the diet and here is her response.

>>>When you start this diet you take in no carbs the first week.  Then you
add 8 - 10 carbs per day for a week.  The next week you double that to
16
- 20 grams per day for a week.  You continue to double while checking
your urine for ketones (evidence that you are burning fat).  When you
quit producing ketones then you go back a step - you have found the
level
that your particular system can tolerate carbs.  Some people can eat 50
grams carbs a day and maintain - some only 20 grams  - every one is
different.

The diet is Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution - written by Dr. Atkins a
medical
Dr.
ANother good reference book is called Sugar Busters written by 3 doctors
- at least one is a cardiologist.  I had always struggled with my weight
- even on 1200 calories a day I could not loose.  A friend told me about
this diet and I started using it - very easy to follow because you can
eat all you want of the correct foods - and you get to eat all your
favorite foods - and YOU LOOSE WEIGHT and keep it off!!.

Hope this helps - looking forward to see what you find out about ketones
- I know that you produce them in your urine on this diet - I wonder if
that means  you also have them in breast milk and if so in what
quantities.  And what quantities if any are safe.<<<<

There seems to be a general consensus that the ketones produced could be
a problem, both for mum and baby. However, several people have also
pointed out that a low carbohydrate diet is how our distant ancestors
ate as well as many cultures in present day. I don't think the mum would
use this diet if she thought there could be some risk to her or her
baby, on the other hand I want to be able to provide her with as much
info as possible.

Many thanks again,
Donna Hansen
Burnaby, BC