Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Kathleen G. Auerbach" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:46:37 -0800
that the IBCLC(s) in private practice (esp.) seem to be used as "last
resort" stopovers on the way to weaning so as not to feel guilty. "I tried
everything, even saw and IBCLC, and she couldn't help me either."

However, it need not be this way.  When professionals of all stripes work
TOGETHER, each can see clients early in their breastfeeding careers with or
without problems that are insoluble and each can contribute to the mother's
comfort with with she is doing.

Until all professionals cease seeing others wearing different hats as
threats this will not happen, unfortunately.

I have been in a practice where I saw all manner of situations, from
pre-birth through imminent weaning, from initial self-referral through
multiple referrals later "you must fix this in 15 min or I'm gone!"

Currently, my practice is barely functioning and mostly lies in the "last
resort" category.  There are many reasons for this, not least of which is
the expectation that if the care is not free or fully covered by insurance
(NOT!), they will not seek help OR they seek help from places where there
is at least some insurance coverage, but that is not always themost
appropriate, skilled or experienced help.  It is very sad to see women not
receiving assistance that might cost them a small amount but would save
them untold difficulties and a LOT MORE MONEY later in hospitalizations,
extra doctor visits, and ABM purchases.

The importance of networking and developing colleagial relationships is
crucial, it seems to me, in making the lactation consultant (whatever her
initials behind her name) a credible fully-accepted and respected member of
the health care/preserving team.  I would much rather assist in preventing
difficulties than in having to attempt to resurrect what has already nearly
expired....

     mailto:[log in to unmask]

"We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly
disguised as impossible situations."
Kathleen G. Auerbach,PhD, IBCLC (Ferndale, WA USA) [log in to unmask]
For LACTNET quilt raffle: http://together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
WEB PAGE: http://www.telcomplus.net/kga/lactation.htm
LACTNET archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html