From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:17:24 +0800
Betty Clauss wrote:
>I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I am working
>with a new mom, first baby! He was born 5 days ago with a vacumn
>assit and intrathecal.  The first 24hrs he latched on only 4 times
>with great difficulty, but was able to latch for the next 36 hrs or
>so until moms milk came in. Mom is large breasted with nipples that
>evert slightly, they do not invert when stimulated. Once the milk
>came in however he refused to latch. He would cry, arch his back and
>not calm when brought to the breast.
<snip>
>I saw baby today and
>he gets very upset and will not calm down and move his tongue forward
>to latch when brought to breast.

I probably know less about this than others on the list, but the fact that
the baby had a vacuum delivery may be significant here. I am wondering
about the usefulness perhaps of chiropractic or cranio-sacral adjustments
for this baby. There is a good chance something is out of alignment after
this sort of delivery, and the baby demonstrating feeding difficulties.

What do others with more experience with these techniques think?

Joy Anderson B.Sc. Dip.Ed. Grad.Dip.Med.Tech. IBCLC
Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia Breastfeeding Counsellor
Perth, Western Australia.   mailto:[log in to unmask]