From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 01:05:53 -0500
I'm about to go no-mail for 3 weeks and wish I could see the follow-ups to
these posts.  I, too, used to be very careful not to contradict outright
what a mom told me her dr had said.  But I've seen too many women lately
(and posted about one recently) who are uncomfortable making a decision
unless it's been "blessed" by *someone* in a white coat - as if the white
coat confers some kind of omniscience - even when they can see for
themselves that the white coat has been giving them misinformation.  It's
downright unhealthy.

So I'm changing my tune.  Surely one of the most important skills we can
help a mom learn is the ability to see through the white mask, so to speak,
to the entirely human individual beneath it.  No one tiptoes around what a
chiropractor said.  Or a nurse.  Or a lactation consultant.  Granted, we
needn't stomp with army boots.  But I think we may not be serving moms best
if we put the doctors in a separate, revered, kid-gloves category.  Poor
information is poor information.

But then, I'm in private practice.  And yes, I'm going to go back and
re-read our Standards of Practice...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY