From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 14:31:53 -0700
I agree with Kathy Auerbach.  I feel that if one chooses not to sit the exam
(for what ever reason) that that does not make them automatically incapable
of being an LC.
What is imperitive, tho, is that those of us who have not sat the exam (and
a few of us who have) know what our capabilities and limits are.
For example, I have LOTS of knowledge about BF, I could probably sit the
exam and pass it with what I know.  I am a CLE, and with this knowledge I
should be able to have my own private practice, which I do, and should be
able to counsel mothers, which I do.  What I do NOT do, tho is hands on
stuff, checking sucks, touching mom, L-O a baby, that sort of thing.  I give
education, helpful suggestions, and educate by using props and reading
materials.  Why?  Because I have not yet had the proper mentoring/training
by an IBCLC (or equivelant) (you know, observing them work, then taking on
cases with them observing me), and I think it inappropriate for me to work
with mothers in a hands on way until I have been properly trained.
Just my own anal-retentive (CMA) type of thing here.
Taking a CLE course is just the beginning of education.  I don't know how
anyone can take a CLE/CLCounselor training and think that in 5 days of
classes and 3 months of homework they can consider themselves expert enough
to hang up a shingle and call themselves an LC.
Now, if someone has put in the years of working with moms and babies, say in
hosp or as a LLLL or something like that, and they have educated themselves,
and there are no LCs around for that mentoring relationship, then we are
looking at a bit of a different picture.  I know that there are some of us
who have had to "figure things out as they go", and while doing that have
educated themselves any way possible.  Sometimes that is how we have to do
things.  SOmetimes you have to get hands-on when there is no other choice.
But when there is a choice, my feeling is that one should get the proper
supervision and training any way possible (Even if it takes a few years,
like it is in my case).
I think that to call yourself an LC you should sit the exam.  IBCLC is a
title like MD, and should be used as such, imho.  If you are working with
moms in a consultant like fashion then ca,, yourself a BF consultant, or a
BF Counselor, or whatever your title is (CLE, LLLL, etc.)  But save the LC
for the IBCLCs, and those of you who are IBCLC's make sure you use all those
letters when you tell someone what/who you are.  DOn't drop the "IBC".  Make
it known that you studied for and passed the exam.
Just my extra .02...
Jay
Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, CA
"No Miracles performed here, just a lot of love and hard work."
LACTNET Quilt Raffle  Check out the web page then e-mail me at
[log in to unmask] for where to send for your tickets!