From:
"Kathleen M. McInnis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:47:30 EDT
Date: July 1, 1998
From:  Kathleen McInnis, RN, MS
Subject:  CLE vs. CLC

I am new to Lactnet and have enjoyed the discussions I've read about thus
far.  In response to Debi VanderMey Bar's note dated July 1 and concern
what to call lactation counselors at WIC. I have 12 years of pedicatric
and community health nursing experience and  I have been studying
lactation and related issues for the past 5 years; I recently opened a
private practice.  My goal was to wait until after obtaining my IBCLC
certification (which won't happen until my young children are in school).
 But I was encouraged by the health care community in my small town to
begin sooner.  There is NO ONE in my town providing lactation support
other than a nursery nurse who takes calls outside the hospital as well
as seeing some moms in house; a WIC coordinator for those clients;  and
there is a LLL group to provide support.  This is such a need in my
community!  Fortunately, I have resources in other towns (and now
Lactnet!) and would never try to treat something out of my scope.  I
understand the need for standardization, but am so glad that I can assist
some of the health care professionals here and keep moms breastfeeding!
I call myself a "Breastfeeding Counselor" and am available to help moms
and babies, in their homes, get off to a healthy start.  I am qualified
at that level even though I don't have the IBCLC  initials after my name.
Sincerely, Kathleen McInnis RN, MS

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]