Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 00:23:06 -0800
>(c) those who are marginally nourished experience longer lactational
>            amenorrhea for the same intensity of breastfeeding than their well-
>            nourished western counterpart

The comments by Dr Dettwyler on tandem nursing has reminded me of a
topic I've wanted to bring up for some time.  I've been personally
wondering about the various reasons for length of amenorrhea, mainly
because I went soooo long myself (28 months).  None of the usual
explanations seemed to apply to me:  I was in good health, certainly
not undernourished, and nursing my toddler roughly 3 times a day
often with 8 hours or more between feeds.  Once the amenorrhea
stopped I began to experience extreme nipple sensitivity from
mid-cycle (ovulation) lasting about 10 days.  This happened before
the return of menses, and was so painful I thought I was pregnant.
I'm not complaining, mind you: this has given me a very accurate tool
with which to track ovulation

None of the other mums I've talked to has experienced this, so I'm
wondering if I simply have very sensitive nipples.  If so, could this
be the reason I had 28 months of LA?

So, my question:  Have any of you come across lengthy LA combined
with very sensitive breasts?  Or cyclical breast sensitivity after
the return of menses?  (Or, here's another pet theory of mine:  late
menarche linked with long LA.  ie, woman requires higher than average
levels of hormone to menstruate).

I'd love to know if there's any evidence out there to support these
theories.

Jennifer Landels, BA, CE
Vancouver BC