From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 10:42:18 -0500
On 24 May 98 at 16:01, JOHN TAYLOR wrote:

> >One method that works well, and which I generally practice, is to
> >shift the first honey-super back a fraction of an inch, to leave a
> >~1/4" opening across the front of the hive.  An opening is thereby
> >provided at the upper edge of the brood-chamber
>
> I've read about doing this elsewhere.  Doing so would also result in
> another 1/4" opening facing down on the back side of the hive . . .
> Do the bees use both?  Is there any problem with the bees ability to
> guard these openings or other bees trying to rob, now that there are
> three "largish" opening in the hive?

A major problem, rarely, if ever considered, extra openings for wax
moths. If it should get cold and the bees retire down into a tighter
cluster, then wax moths have an easy method of entering the upper
areas of the hive to lay eggs.
        My policy, no extraneous upper entrances during the summer.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.