From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 10:42:18 -0500
On 23 May 98 at 18:06, Alan Riach wrote:

> Opening up an area further up the hive should therefore be easier
> for the bees than having to waft the vapor down (against its natural
> flow) and out through the lower entrance.
>
> It's also why top ventilation holes in the cover board and roof are
> so important for proper winter ventilation when there is no bee
> fanning to keep the vapor moving.

I have been advocating the above for many years. It would appear that
upwards ventilation is a European idea. Why it is frowned on in North
America, I for one fail to understand!
        I remember reading in one of the older bee keeping manuals (I
believe A.I. Roots) ventilation being discussed and at the time it
was considered necessary. How come it's fallen out of favour?

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.