Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Laura Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:38:43 EDT
Karen and all,
Just wrote a brief note last night as I had to get up early this morning for
another 12 hour shift.  3 speakers at "Breastfeeding the Preterm Infant"
track:

Mary Grace Lanese, BSN, RN, IBCLC (Kansas, Missouri) spoke on increasing the
likelihood of long-term BF: staff support, LC visits, parent education,
privacy for BF & pumping, rooming-in for practice & prior to discharge, study
to compare 3.5 NG tube & bottle supplementation as 2 means of transitioning
preterm to BF. Results of study: similar length of hospitalization & wt gains,
NG group 4.5 times more likely to BF & 9.4 times more likely to be fully BF at
discharge than bottle group. NG group also more likely to be BF at 3 days, 3
mos, & 6 mos..

Kerstin Hedberg Nyqvist, MSN RN (Upsala, Sweden) spoke on research she has
submitted for publication- Development of BF behavior in preterm infants (she
referenced 2 of her published works in J of Human Lactation 1996;12(3):207-219
& 221-228. Preterm babes have unrestricted BF & kangaroo care, cup feeding is
encouraged, intermittent gavage feeds. Babies can be fully breastfeed @ 35-36
wks.

Janet Kinney, MD for Susan Landers, MD (Austin, TX). Fortification of human
milk. Cited J Pediatr Gastr Nutr 1994 18:474-477, feed more hindmilk to
increase wt gain in LBW babes. Also, from J Perinat, 1997 (sorry, didn't get
rest of info) skin-to-skin for many benefits including positive effect on
maternal milk volume & increased wt gain. My conclusion from her talk is that
fortifiers are not for all babies & not primarily for increased calories but
to supply additional nutrients needed (by some preterm babes) that are not
provided in appropriate amounts mom's milk.

Exhibitors that caught my eye:
*Motherlove herbal company (www.motherlove.com)
*Bright future lactation resource center (Linda Smith) great buttons, educ.
packs, etc
*The Learning Curve-I bought matching buttons, note pads & stickers for WBFW
*Parenting Concepts displayed some beautiful slings for parents & matching
slings for siblings to wear &/or carry dolls. They have a nice little
catalogue. There website is www.parentingconcepts.com
*InfoNation Systems demonstrated a nifty computer program call the Lactation
Consultant. Computerized charting of assessment & progress notes, contact
summaries, online reminders for follow-up calls, sales/rental tracking,
inventory management, treatment plans & protocols that can be customized.
*Jones & Bartlett Publishers had the Riordan & Auerbach books. I bought the
Resource Guide to Accompany BF & Human Lactation. It has lots of info I will
use for staff education for Mother-Baby unit, L&D, and NICU-learning
activities, reading lists, A-V resources, transparency/overhead masters &
forms with permission to copy.

***One more very important request that I received at conf & will pass on:
Please write to your US Representives. You may contact the National Allliance
for Breastfeeding Advocacy or visit www.house.gov/maloney/ if you need further
info about Carolyn Maloney's bill HR 3531, New Mothers' Breastfeeding
Promotion  & Protection Act. More cosponsers are needed, write to your US Rep:
The Honorable____________
US House of Representatives
Washington DC 20515
Provide them with stories of women & the difficulty they have returning to
work & BF.
&/or Stories about needing breast pump standards
&/or Use the feminist side, womaen shouldn't have to choose between working &
having a family & providing her baby w the best poss start-BF.
I  promised that I would write my rep & get 5 of my fellow-Floridians to also
write.

This is just a sample of my one-day (Friday) at the conf.

Hope you all enjoy it!
Laura Hart, BSN, IBCLC
Winter Park FL