From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 07:47:11 -0500
I think that it will be difficult and I'm not even sure it's apropriate to
get a commitment from new mothers to nurse for at least two years.
HOw much and certainly how long to nurse are very personal commitments
and the people I know who have nursed ong term could not have told you
at birth that they would have done so - certainly not at the birth of
their first child.
  Making nursing, including nursig older children, the norm will
make it possible for more women to do it. That includes not being
afraid to do it and to talk about it in public. For myself, I still
hesitate to tell most peple that my second and third kids
nursed for two and three years respectively and that at 22 months
my fourth is still going strong. Although I am less hesitant now
than I was a couple of years ago.
  I firmly believe that lasting and meaningful change happens
slowly over time and that if it is rushed too much it will backfire.
Patience is important.
  Just my .02.
  Naomi Bar-Yam