Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 01:57:45 EDT
Greetings.

Here's the daily update on the mom who is facing lumpectomy to rule out Cancer
in her lactating breast.

Briefly, bb is 3 mos, her 3rd, exclusively bf. Mom found firm lump in upper
center of L breast.  Surgeon rec. complete weaning...I suggested wean one side
and remove lump w/incision along skin lines to preserve breast function and I
requested cites from your all to share w/ surgeon who called this AM.

Well, as I feared there are cites in the lit on draining breast abcess, but
none specifically on lumpectomy to r/o CA...so, I had lots of support and
ideas on how to approach this from all you wonderful caring folks for which I
thank you all very much.

The Rochester Lactation Center (Dr Linda) was the best source of info, (thanks
Linda Smith) and helped me find the statement in Lawernce's book that its ok
to wean one breast and con't bf on other side.  I shared this w/ MD who
refuted it based on the fact that there were no studies to back it up and it
was just experiencial...besides, What was I trying to prove, anyway...Wasn't
it more important to save the mothers life and get rid of the possibly
cancerous tumor than preserve the breastfeeding relationship?  Well, gee, of
course the mother';s  life is more important, but how about preserving the
breast function just in case the lump was benigh?  Sorry,l  got carried away a
little there....I was better, much better with the Doctor...honest I was. :)

He didn't let me talk much...but at least I got a few points across...about 2
cents worth.  To his credit, he did call, and he did listen, a little.  got
nowhere w/ him however and we ended the call agreeing that the mom shoudl call
another surgeon who was willing to take these risks I was suggesting.

Next thing that happens is OB calls me and says the mamogram was negative,
showed nothing at all...curious?

Next Mom calls me and says she cant find the lump anywhere?  Its gone...just
gone. She relieved and thinks maybe it was just a plain old plugged milk
duct..what did I think? Well, I didn't feel the lump in the first place, and
wasn't feeling it now and I didn't know. So I'm holding  my breath thinking of
all the research I've done and all of the help I've gotten from private e-
mails from around the world and I said to her " call the OB in the morning and
let her confirm that the lump is really gone and call me back."

 She said ok...so, friends in Lactnetland...where did the lump go?

Could it have been a clogged milk duct, so dense that sonogram said it was
solid? Could sonogram have been mis-read?  Could it have drained as we were
drying out the breast?  Mom reported that this breast was the major producer
of milk all along.  Lisa Amir, what is your thought on this.

I'll let you know tomarrow what the OB found, or didn't find...

Holding my breath.
Karen Evon, IBCLC
Sacramento, CA
Sunny and warm - jumped from Winter to Summer in one day.