Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:38:51 EDT
I think that the research that showed reduced antibodies in the breastmilk of
mothers who have just exercised will be shown to be as unimportant and
inconsequential as the research that claimed that lactic acid in breastmilk
after exercise was somehow possibly bad for babies because they drank less of
it than they did when mom hadn't just exercised.  In order to "measure"
anything in breastmilk, it must be pumped.  Perhaps it is the *pumping* of
breastmilk which changes the quantity of antibodies in post-exercise
breastmilk.  In the lactic acid research, the babies were syringe fed the milk
that their mothers had pumped.  What breastfed baby is going to take as much
quantity by *syringe* as they would have taken by breast???
  It makes sense to me that the immune response of a mother's body to the
*suckling* of her baby is going to be very different from the immune response
of that same body to a breast pump.

My .02!- sorry it comes after 9am Friday :-)
Lisa Jones, LLLL in sunny Wellington FL