From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 16:26:06 -0400
I have to say - as somebody who spent twelve continuous years
breastfeeding - that I agree with Dr. Jack. Looking after babies, toddlers
and young children is tiring. It's not the milk production that wears you
out, it's everything else. I know many women who weaned because they thought
it would be less strenuous, only to find their babies or toddlers were as
demanding and tiring as before, and they'd lost a nice easy way to calm and
soothe them.

I became convinced of this when one of my friends adopted a baby. Three days
after the baby (a 2 month old) came into her life, my formerly energetic and
efficient friend was an exhausted wreck. And she wasn't breastfeeding and
hadn't been through all the physical changes of pregnancy.  I can't tell you
how much better that made me feel.

I do think this is important, though, because many women who are tired or
feeling overwhelmed with the responsibilities of child care, housework and
possibly paid work as well are told they should wean because the
breastfeeding is what's making them tired. It seems to be considered
preferable to pay for formula than a cleaning service or something similar
to help a tired mother. . .