Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Heitsch, Grace" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 May 1998 17:17:45 -0500
To: Karen Pletta <[log in to unmask]>, Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Help Please, I am a general pediatrician with a 4 mo old boy with
grossly bloody stools since 4 wks after starting tri vi sol (stopped
immediately).  Mom is dedicated to breast feed as there is fam Hx of
colitis and asthma.  Baby is HAPPY, thriving and growing.  Sleeps well,
developing well.  90% growth.  Mom has tried under my direction
elimination of milk and soy without effect.  She thinks it's potatoes.

She went to a Peds GI man who said this has to be because of soy or milk
and will go away- so why don't you formula feed? And call me if it
doesn't get better.  An allergist suggested (as I had) a rotation diet.
Am not sure of his instructions.  She reports she has tried full
elimination to a rotation diet of fresh fruit and veggies, turkey,
chicken and rice(?)- and achieved a full 2 weeks without gross blood,
then re-introduced potatoes and 2 d later eggs,  and 2 days later gross
blood again.  Then mom got sick with Gastroenteritis and 'food
poisoning' and just tried to keep any food down.  Since then, baby
passed gross blood daily.

Mom is discouraged.  I asked her to try gluten free while I queried you
-all.

Things that concern me; the baby is happy.  My experience with food
allergy colitis in infants is they are miserable colicky kids.  I worry
that we should find a GI person that knows something about breast
feeding and have the kid scoped- or do a meckles scan.  He's coming in
next week and I'll check Hob again- was OK per the GI man last mo.

Any suggestions form someone who has more experience in infantile
colitis in breast fed  babies? The lit search I did was not too helpful,
except to suggest that we should be over this if we are successfully
eliminating milk and soy.

thanks

Grace Heitsch, MD, FAAP
Duluth Clinic- Ashland
1625 Maple Ln
Ashland, WI  54806
715/682-2358
fax: 715/682-2481
voice mail: 715/685-7582
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men."
Frederick Douglas