Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 09:29:54 GMT+0200
Hi All

Allen Wrote:

> I've read some on this -- and yet I find this to be a generality
> that I have trouble understanding.  I don't doubt its truth, I just
> wonder about its universality.

I believe the original research was done in temperate regions, but
have noticed that my bees here in South Africa respond to similar
stimuli.

> spring and early summer.  Not only does the extra comb prevent
> swarming to some extent and allow room for sudden flows that are
> unexpected by a beekeeper, but there does actually seem to be a
> stimulant effect on bee buildup.

I have also noticed this effect on buildup, and have noticed also
that often when bees have extra space they will move a lot of honey
out of the nest area into the supers. This seems only to apply during
hot periods.

> noticeable in the late summer in temperate regions: if the amount of
>  space above the brood nest is excessive, the bees withdraw to the
> brood section -- especially if excluders are used, and are unable to
> occupy the entire hive.

They also have to heat this area. I have been told by a number of
beekeepers in this area that they find their best results are to
leave three supers on the hives for the warm months and then to cut
down to one shallow for the winter months with regular inspection.
This is also partly because the winter months produce honey flows
that crystalize very fast.

> If bees are unable to continuously occupy an area of a hive they
> seem reluctant to fill it permanently with honey.  This is one

And they are also prone to being robbed if they cannot occupy the
space.

My main observation here has been that the greatest stimulus to bees
is to pull three supers and replace with spun ones. The increase in
hive productivity is most probably not due to increased space as much
as it is due to a sudden burst in brood rearing caused by the bees
having surplus energy after cleaning up the supers. Also if any
pollen had been hidden in the supers by honey, it will now be exposed
and the bees can use it for rearing??

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey
Standard Disclaimer applies to this post.