From:
Nleeguitar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 07:38:27 EDT
Hi Everybody:
   There have been a number of postings lately about fussy babies and mothers
trying elimination diets and pediatricians recommending hypoallergenic
formulae. Has anyone ever considered reflux?
   Laura Barmby (<[log in to unmask]>) had a child with reflux and has written
about it for my newsletter. I thought I would share some of the information
now, since it seems pertinent.
   Some babies with reflux nurse well at night, but will refuse to nurse
during the day. These babies often do well with bottle feeding.....because
they are being fed in an upright position, not because bottles are magic. So
try feeding the baby in an upright position to minimize gastric contents
coming back up the esophagus.
   Symptoms of reflux (of which there are varying degrees and which needs a
pediatrician involvement to diagnose) are: sudden or inconsolable crying,
breast refusal (especially during the day), spitting up or vomiting, slow
weight gain, poor sleep patterns, difficulty swallowing, gagging, choking,
frequent hiccoughing, sore throats, and even some respiratory difficulties. It
wouldn't hurt to recommend a change of position while breastfeeding.
    I am working with a mother now with an 8 week old with a lot of problems.
She initially been seen by another LC for low supply. Things got better, then
got worse and that LC referred her to me for some cranio-sacral work. But now
the mother has an oversupply, (all those things we recommend to increase
supply sure do work. Just don't forget to tell the mom when to stop pumping
after feeding and when to stop super switching during feeds!) so the baby has
been backing off and clenching. And  she also has vasospasm of the nipples,
with the triphasic color change. And it seems like the baby has some reflux
symptoms too. This is a wonderful dedicated mother, who is determined to make
things work. What a lucky baby to have such a mother. Warmly, Nikki