From:
Jparks1041 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 10:13:33 EDT

<< I don' think the issue is as much the safety of the infant, rather the
safety
 of mom. >>

This brings up an interesting topic, as breastfeeding support people.  Do we
answer the question the mom has, or go further and deny her that answer so
that we can tell her all about how her decision is "wrong"?  Maybe it is
because I am a lay counselor...I just don't feel comfortable taking the
paternalistic kind of perspective with a mom that is necessary to step in on
her personal decisions.  The term "fear-mongering" leaps to mind.  Maybe it's
my LLL background, telling me to "meet a mother where she is".

Now, if we are talking about the mom doing things that research clearly
indicates is bad for baby, I share that info with her.  But this situation, a
specific kind of diet mom wants to go back to, doesn't seem to be the kind of
thing that it is my place to scare her about, especially when lots and lots of
people do it, and when there are actual ehthnic groups who eat in this way
consistently and have traditionally high breastfeeding rates, for long
durations.

Any other ideas on this philosophical point?  I think specific posts about the
diet in question get a little too far afield from our goal of lactation
discussion, but this tangential point is pertinent.

Mailto:  [log in to unmask]
Joy Berry-Parks
LLL, Central Arkansas
Attachment Parenting Group of AR