Date:
Wed, 13 May 1998 01:44:18 EDT
Greetings Lactnetters
I had an interesting discussion today w/ a couple of other LCs re: meds for
Mastitis.
The jist of the discussion was:  First recommended med : Dicloxicillin
Second recommendation if mom can't tolerate Diclox or is allergic to cillins
is Erythromycin (sp?)
Then, Keflex.
 My question is this:  I thought I read somewhere that Keflex is the preferred
med because it works well on soft tissue and is a chephalosporin (sp?)
I thought erythromycin was not specific to strep which is most common cause of
mastitis and erythromycin works well when there is bilateral mastitis which is
most often caused by staph...Or am I confused?
I do know that Keflex is most expensive, but am I right that most consider it
most effective??
Are there errors in my reasoning?
Can you straighten me out, please. ?
Thanks for help.  I love meeting w/ other LCs and discussing stuf like this...

Karen Evon, IBCLC
Stormy California